A once in a lifetime opportunity to RealSwim in one of New Zealand’s most remote, unspoilt and beautiful locations. In Fiordland you’ll find some truly special inhabitants – bottlenose dolphins, New Zealand fur seals (kekeno), Fiordland crested penguins (tawaki), and blue penguins (korora). On a lucky day, you may even see whales, which swim by where the continental shelf comes close to the coast.
We helicopter (transfers included) into our exclusive live aboard charter vessel with its own HOT TUB! For six days we relax, swim, indulge in delicious fresh food (caught daily), share stories and enjoy the experience of being off the grid and immersed in the wonders of nature.
Also on board there are kayaks, stand up paddle boards, a 4m RIB, a fresh water maker and washer and drier. All the comforts while you enjoy RealSwimming in a Kiwi paradise.
The swimming is absolutely luscious, superbly stunning, and truly epic in the deep south of NZ’s South Island.
Water temperatures we’ve experienced so far on previous trips have been between 15-19 degrees, making this a wetsuit optional trip.
Swims are between 2-5km and offer multiple experiences from swimming through gaps, up to and under waterfalls and with wildlife.
The swims are weather dependent and are shaped to meet the fitness, ability and motivation of the group. Fiordland offers so many aspects there is nearly always somewhere ‘weather protected’ we can seek out in order to find superb swim conditions.
We meet at Manapouri airport, Te Anau on the morning of your trip start date. From here we helicopter into ‘PureSalt’ located ‘somewhere’ in Fiordland.
Please note this trip is limited to 12 swimmers and has sold out each year.
Friday 4 February to Wednesday 9 February
Saturday 29 January to Thursday 3 February
2022 trip = $4750pp. A $1800 deposit is required to secure your booking.
2023 trip = $5000pp. A $2000 deposit is required to secure your booking.
5 nights, 6 days
– Morning helicopter transfers
– Introductions and boat familiarisation.
– Acclimatisation swim to enable crew to get comfortable with swim procedures, allow guests to learn the swim procedures and allow staff to assess swim abilities.
– Days 2, 3 & 5: one morning swim and one afternoon swim with plenty of down time in between.
– Day 4: one swim, morning or afternoon.
– Swim locations will be chosen depending on weather conditions. Swim lengths minimum 2km, maximum 5km. All swims are fully supported.
– These days are yours to enjoy; nap, read, fish, play cards, sit in the hot tub, learn more about PureSalts conservation efforts. We encourage you embrace what is on offer and we will do what we can to ensure you experience all you can on this adventure.
– Sunrise pre breakfast dip; a final team breakfast before departing for Manapouri airport.
Accommodation on board is
- Bunkrooms and twin cabins.
You can request one of these rooms or we’ll assign you a room. Accommodation is available on a first come first served basis. See images under the Boat Bunks tab.
There are also guided walking, history, birdwatching, snorkelling and fishing opportunities.
2022 trip = $4750pp. A $1800 deposit is required to secure your booking. Limited to 12 swimmers.
2023 trip = $5000pp. A $2000 deposit is required to secure your booking. Limited to 12 swimmers.
Start Date: Friday 4 Feb 2022
Finish Date: Wednesday 9 Feb 2022
Start Date: Saturday 29 January 2023
Finish Date: Thursday 3 February 2023
Booking Terms and Conditions
- A non refundable deposit is required to confirm your RealSwim booking.
- Full payment is required for a booking less than 60 days from the start date.
- Read full T’s & C’s https://www.realswimadventures.com/terms-conditions/
- Please don’t bring the kitchen sink for this live aboard RealSwim Adventure as we’re flying in to the location. Each swimmer has a luggage limit of 25kg.
- You’ll need gear for all conditions, this what we recommend;
- Reef shoes or sandals
- Rain Jacket
- Sun Screen
- Sun Hat/Warm Hat
- Sun Glasses
- Goggles x2; clear and tinted
- Drink Bottles
- Swim Suits
- Warm thermal undergarments/fleece
- Shorts and light long trousers
- Walking Shoes
- Two Towels
What is included?
Helicopter transfers return out of Manapouri Airport. Five nights accommodation on the live aboard boat ‘PureSalt’ including all meals and essentials. You’ll have access to hot showers, washing machines, drinking water and a hot tub as well as full safety support for your RealSwimming.
What is the climate like?
Water temperatures we’ve experience so far on previous trips have been between 15-19 degrees making this a wetsuit optional trip. There is a high annual rainfall in Fiordland. Due to the numerous aspects in the sounds we have excellent opportunities to find the lee/sheltered swimming locations.